General Requirements for Ladder, Cab and Fire Safety
Standards for hoisting equipment and ropes, brakes, electrical systems, proper load handling procedures, and crane inspection and maintenance protocols play obvious roles in advancing crane safety. But when you work around powerful overhead cranes, no consideration is too small for lowering the risk of accidents and their consequences. This section addresses a few miscellaneous requirements that further elevate crane safety.
Konecranes’ service technicians—who are knowledgeable in all crane safety standards—can include these elements in their inspections and maintenance service, such as recommending solutions for safe stowing of supplies and personal items in cabs.
OSHA 1910.179 Overhead & Gantry Cranes Regulations
(the following excerpt taken directly from OSHA 1910.179)
- The employer shall insure that hands are free from encumbrances while personnel are using ladders.
- Articles which are too large to be carried in pockets or belts shall be lifted and lowered by hand line.
- Necessary clothing and personal belongings shall be stored in such a manner as not to interfere with access or operation.
- Tools, oil cans, waste, extra fuses, and other necessary articles shall be stored in the tool box, and shall not be permitted to lie loose in or about the cab.
- The employer shall insure that operators are familiar with the operation and care of fire extinguisher provided.
For any crane service concern, contact the global Konecranes service network, which offers high-quality, 24/7 service from more than 600 service locations in almost 50 countries—the largest service network in the industry.
*The foregoing OSHA regulations are not intended to be a comprehensive overview of all applicable regulations pertaining to the designated topic. State laws may mandate different safety and maintenance standards. Accordingly, please consult applicable state laws as well as original equipment manufacturer specifications for further guidance. The statements and descriptions contained herein constitute the opinion/recommendation of the seller and are not intended to create any express warranties.